Question: Conifers and seasonal chloroses??

michael frankis michael.frankis at which.net
Fri Nov 12 15:36:58 EST 1999

Is this something new, that has only recently started happening, or are you just
noticing for the first time something that has always happened?

Reason I ask, is that many conifers turn yellowish in winter, a character
usually cited as reducing the amount of chlorophyll so as to be able to cope
with extreme winter cold more successfully.  What I don't know is whether your
observations refer to this, or to something else new and potentially more
serious.  Please let me know.

In Scots Pine (Pinus sylvestris), this yellowing is variable with origin -
Siberian origins go the yellowest (to a drab mossy green), while Turkish origins
(var. hamata) hardly turn yellow at all (which is why they are preferred for
christmas trees in the USA).  One selected clone of Scots Pine (named as cv.
'Aurea') turns such a bright yellow in winter, it makes a good selling point for
garden use.

I'll try and dig out some references to it over the next few days.

Michael Frankis
Newcastle, England