Question: Conifers and seasonal chloroses??

Mike the Tree Doctor mlamana at bestweb.net
Sat Nov 13 10:46:57 EST 1999

Michael:

No, your are correct - I refer to the seasonal yellowing phenomenon that
usually reverses itself come Spring.

Any thoughts on why the trees cannibalize chlorophyll? Is there hard
experimental evidence on the nature of the 'benefit' vis a vis winter that
the tree obtains via this process? Is it a mere shunting to the roots of N
and Mg rich solutes resulting from the lysis of chlorophyll? Is there a
concomitant reduction in the efficiency of photosynthesis at the yellow and
red ends of the absorption spectrum??

Thanks for your input!

Mike the Tree Doctor
www.treedoctors.com