West Indian SORREL

Nick Maclaren nmm1 at cus.cam.ac.uk
Sun Nov 21 17:50:11 EST 1999

In article <819mao$t0p$1 at news4.svr.pol.co.uk>,
abacusnurseries.freeserve.co,uk <david at abacusnurseries.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
>Can anyone give me any information on the plant known as Sorrel in
>Trinidad..  its got a thick waxy flower with a prickly seed.....
Hibiscus esculentum.  Roselle.  I forget the Arabic name, but it is
common in that culture.

It is used to make a tisane, sweetened with sugar, or a jelly rather
like redcurrant.  I liked eating it raw (much to the annoyance of my
mother), but can't remember if it is eaten as a bud or unripe pod.
Anyway, it is grown as an annual, and likes a moderately hot summer.
About 4' high, if I remember correctly.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren,
New Museums Site, Pembroke Street, Cambridge CB2 3QG, England.
Email:  nmm1 at cam.ac.uk
Tel.:  +44 1223 334761    Fax:  +44 1223 334679