How to save ring-barked trees?

Rod Savidge savidge at unb.ca
Mon Nov 22 10:30:26 EST 1999

Graft a ring of bark, taken from a pruned branch of the same tree, such
that it just fills in the gap in the stem.  Pay attention to polarity (up
side of cambium taken from the branch should be grafted the same
orientation into the main stem).   Hold the graft strips in place with an
elastic girdle and smear the outer edges with bees wax to prevent
dehydration.  Leave it for at least a year before removing the elastic.

RAS

   Rod Savidge, PhD, Professor       |         E-mail: savidge at unb.ca
   Faculty of Forestry and          \|/
   Environmental Management       \  |  /      Phone:  (506) 453-4919
   University of New Brunswic     _\/|\/_
   Fredericton, NB CANADA           \|/        Fax:    (506) 453-3538
   E3B 6C2                           |