plant emotions

James Campanella campanellj at MAIL.MONTCLAIR.EDU
Mon Nov 29 07:07:54 EST 1999

Hi,

The hypothesis is utter nonsense. It was nonsense 30 years ago
when it was first suggested and it is still nonsense. If one
plant is damaged when nearby another, it will release a series
of hormonal gases, chief among which is something called
jasmonate. These hormonal gases alter the physiology of the
nearby plants and may even cause a depolarization of membranes
which was observed on the lie-detector. The system is in place
in order to signal to nearby plants that one is being eaten
or damaged by predators. The nearby plants then alter their
physiological makeup to better deal with the possibility of
being damaged.

Plants do not fear or have any other emotions. You must have
a complex nervous system to feel emotions and plants DO NOT
have that.

Dr. Jim Campanella
Montclair State University
Montclair, New Jersey 07042