wet weight versus dry weight

Louis Landesman lxl7392 at USL.EDU
Tue Nov 30 16:10:45 EST 1999

------=_NextPart_000_0004_01BF3B44.AF3BCCD0

I am doing research on the duckweed growth and competition. To measure =
the growth rates of the 2 duckweed species I work with - Lemna obscura =
and Wolffia globosa -
I need to relate their wet and dry weights respectively. Thus far I heat =
both species in a drying oven at 60-70 degrees C for 24 hours. After a =
day has elapsed I turn off the oven and weigh my Lemna and Wolffia =
samples at room temperatures (the samples having cooled in the oven to =
room temperature). From the difference in wet and dry weights I =
calculate the percentage moisture, etc.

Can anyone suggest a better way to dry my duckweed samples? How can I =
test to see if the method described above gives reliable results? Both =
Lemna and Wolffia are more than 90% water in their fresh state and Lemna =
is hydroscopic when dry. However I have observed that dry Lemna stays at =
about the same weight in the dry Texas climate after it is fully dried.

Reply to Louis at lxl7392 at louisiana.edu

------=_NextPart_000_0004_01BF3B44.AF3BCCD0

<HTML>
<HEAD>

http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>I am doing research on the duckweed =
growth and=20
competition. To measure the growth rates of the 2 duckweed species I =
work with -=20
Lemna obscura and Wolffia globosa -</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>I need to relate their wet and dry =
weights=20
respectively. Thus far I heat both species in a drying oven at 60-70 =
degrees C=20
for 24 hours. After a day has elapsed I turn off the oven and weigh my =
Lemna and=20
Wolffia samples at room temperatures (the samples having cooled in the =
oven to=20
room temperature). From the difference in wet and dry weights I =
calculate the=20
percentage moisture, etc.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>Can anyone suggest a better way to =
dry my=20
duckweed samples? How can I test to see if the method described above =
gives=20
reliable results? Both Lemna and Wolffia are more than 90% water in =
their fresh=20
state and Lemna is hydroscopic when dry. However I have observed that =
dry Lemna=20
stays at about the same weight in the dry Texas climate after it is =
fully=20
dried.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2><FONT color=3D#000000>Reply =
</FONT>to Louis at <A=20
href=3D"mailto:lxl7392 at louisiana.edu">lxl7392 at louisiana.edu</A></FONT></D=