Still need help

Ken Java6 at webtv.net
Tue Nov 30 22:46:09 EST 1999

Thanks Beverly for your response. I agree the common fluorescent blubs
work great. My interest is with freshwater planted aquariums, and
African Violets. I do plan on starting some vegetables indoors by seed
next spring. I am curious about color spectral graphs as I have seen
only a few of these, mainly for bulbs developed for marine aquariums,
these were heavy in the blue end of the spectrum and lacking in the red
end. Seeing how photosynthesis has two peaks in the visible light
spectrum, one at about 380-480 nm in the violet blue spectrum and the
second at about 600-680 nm in the orange red  spectrum and seeing how
plants need approx. twice as much red light as they do  blue, would not
a bulb that was heavy in the orange  red spectrum be the ideal bulb for
plant growth taking in consideration total lumen output.I must admit I
am not familiar with PAR what is it ?
Thanks Ken