Tom Merchant tom.merchant at
Wed Oct 6 14:39:45 EST 1999

On Wed, 6 Oct 1999 20:17:37 +0100, "david.curwen"
<david.curwen at> wrote:

>Hey, I've a question and surfing led me here.  Does anyone out there know,
>if at any time, plants actually take in oxxgen and give out carbon dioxide?
Plants are always respiring, so they are always taking in oxygen and
giving out carbon dioxide.

Plants photosynthesize via two stages: the light reaction and the dark
reaction. To make a simplification of the whole thing, while they are
undergoing photosynthesis, they take in carbon dioxide and give off

GENERALLY a plant must photosynthesize more than it respires. So while
it is photosynthesizing, more carbon dioxide is taken in than is given
off, and more oxygen is produced than is taken in.

Things are really a bit more complex than this, but this is a good