Help! Eucalyptus problem!

Sue Dart suedart at bigpond.com
Wed Oct 13 17:51:41 EST 1999

Hi Jan,
In my "Natives of Australia", the eucalyptus caesia is described as growing
to 8 m, requiring full sun, moderate to low watering. To quote the whole
paragraph:
"This stunning tree has brown bark that cracks and peels at the base of the
trunk with silver branches. It bears large pink flowers with glue-green buds
and fruit, and requires a well-drained position and protection from the
wind. It prefers a sunny position and is drought and frost resistant."
If you can find a place out of the wind, but out of doors until the snow
starts, then put it there. You might have too small a pot without enough
ventilation and drainage. If you can find the right place, then repot the
sapling, making sure the drainage holes are properly crocked to ensure no
water clogs the base. Remember that eucalyptus generally have a very deep
tap root, and don't like their roots disturbed after the first year or so.
The white spot sounds like a mealy bug. You could try wiping the leaves -
top and under - with a weak solution of warm soapy water.
Good luck,
Sue