How to make a Poinsettia turn red

Klishis, Michelle mfk4 at cdc.gov
Thu Oct 14 13:54:45 EST 1999

Hello,
Although I never managed to keep a poinsettia over a year myself (I end
up killing 'em off around August) What you need to do is give them
approximately 12 hours of dark a day.  Basically, stick them in a closet
or bathroom on a timer, and this is he time of year to do it.  They need
a couple months of darkness to get into their flowering cycle.  The
problem, if I remember correctly, is that it is the amount of darkness
that is crucial, so you don't want to accidentally be turning the lights
on, upon your plants.  Unfortunately I don't have my books with me here,
so I can't guarantee this 100% but I'm about 98% sure.

Christmas and Easter Cacti are similar - they need specific amounts of
darkness (hence, their blooming in winter, when there is less light)

I hope this helps, and I think I'll have to pick up this newsgroup at
home, where all my books are.

Michelle K.