Getting a cutting to set root?

Mark Morissette pepper99 at
Sat Oct 16 16:58:51 EST 1999

I recently snipped about a 10" section of a 'unknown' houseplant plant
from a friend's house hoping that I could take it home and get a plant
of my own out of it..    I can't identify the plant at all...  All I
know is that it's a vine/creeper of some sort, since the original
plant was potted about 4' off the ground in a planter, and the vines
were on the carpet and creeping a considderable distance away from the
pot..  :-)

I placed it in a small glass full of water, and although it's
surviving quite nice (about a week or so now) there are no signs that
it's beginning to set root at all..

I'm new at this snipping thing, so am I missing something here, or
doing it completely wrong?  I could have sworn that I've seen people
get snipping to set enough roots to plant in soil this way, but I seem
to be getting no results.

I know that without a positive identification, this may be a tough
question...  If needed, I can snap a picture with my Digital camera of
the snipping (or the original plant, for that matter) and post it on
my website for everyone to see..

Mark,  Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
Remove NOSPAM to respond via Email!
Send all spam to " at" - Promptly forwarded to!  :-)