this the group for carnivorous plants??? q about SUPERTHRIVE

David Hershey dh321 at excite.com
Sat Oct 16 17:00:16 EST 1999

Currently, there are fourteen essential mineral nutrients for plants.
The six macronutrients are nitrogen, phosphorus, potassium, calcium,
magnesium, and sulfur. The eight micronutrients are iron, boron,
manganese, copper, zinc, molybdenum, chlorine, and nickel. No
deficiencies of chlorine and nickel have ever been seen under natural
conditions, just under experimental conditions where plant roots have
been grown in solutions treated to remove those elements. Plants also
need carbon, hydrogen, and oxygen but they are needed in such large
quantities that they are not considered with the mineral nutrients.

Some other elements are essential to some but not all plants. Sodium
appears essential for plants with C-4 photosynthesis. Silicon is
essential for Equisetum species (horsetails). Cobalt is essential for
symbiotic nitrogen fixation because it is required by the nitrogen
fixing bacteria. Some of these elements and others may be essential to
all plants but we cannot yet prove it. Vitamin B-12 contains cobalt so
applying B-vitamins would provide cobalt or perhaps other mineral
nutrients. The effect might also be indirect by improving growth of
beneficial soil fungi or bacteria.

If B vitamins do improve root growth in certain situations, that does
not make them essential. You really need to look closely at the
experimental data, if any, that demonstrate that B-vitamins improves
root growth. There are a lot of gardening products on the market that
gardeners swear by that have no scientifically-proven benefits.

David Hershey
dh321 at excite.com