catalpa tree question

Starbuck pmdlandarch at xearthlink.net
Mon Oct 18 10:44:57 EST 1999

Catalpa, although native to a small area of Oklahoma, was commonly used for
hedgerows and source of fenceposts throughout the midwest, and will thrive
in Iowa (listed by Hightshoe as hardy to zone 5a).  Since the zone line on
my Arnold Arboretum hardiness zone map shows the upper Michigan pennensula
as being partly in 5a (temperature moderated by the lakes), then I suspect
you won't have a problem.  Yes, they are deciduous trees.