Black Tupelo?

Barbie Painter barbie at nyct.net
Mon Oct 18 12:15:38 EST 1999

During a recent wind storm I lost a 60' hickory in my front yard.  I
want to replace the tree, but, having a number of hickories, was
considering something new.

I would like to start with something 15-20'.  I am wondering if anyone
has any experience with nyssa sylvatica (black tupelo, black gum
pepperidge....).  Does it move well at that size?  Is it a fast grower?
Attract birds?  I've read it is native to NY state, but have never seen
one here.  Any thought as to why it is absent?

Someone suggest I try America Chestnut.  Is their a blight resistant
tree available?

Any thoughts?
Barbie