Black Tupelo?

J. Kelly hfcckelly at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 18 22:31:17 EST 1999

We have tupelo (Nyssa sylvatica) here in Michigan and I have noticed that it
tends to grow on soil that is slightly acid. They often grow in wet woods.
The young tree is not very distinctive and you may have passed it by.  Also
the tree is what I would call "locally common", that is  in the right
habitat you may find quite a few trees,  but you may need to go quite a ways
to find another patch.  When I lived in Cincinnati Ohio it was often grown
as a specimen tree on the front lawn.  The mature tree can be quite large
and would certainly take the place of your lost hickory.  In the fall the
leaves turn a beautiful shade of red and the whole tree glows.  You may wish
to contact your local county extension service for information on it in New
York State. Good luck.  It is a beautiful tree.
Judy Kelly

news:380BD0A7.262FA1A4 at larix.com...