catalpa tree question

Joe Dixon joedixon at aol.comSTOPSPAM
Tue Oct 19 19:01:36 EST 1999

>Catalpa, although native to a small area of Oklahoma, was commonly used for
>hedgerows and source of fenceposts throughout the midwest

Hmm, not meaning to be a nit picker, but are you sure you aren't confusing
Catalpa (Catalpa spp.) with Osage Orange (Maclura pomifera)?

You are correct that Catalpa has been/is used for fence posts, however I've
never heard of it being used as a hedgerow (unlike Maclura which was originally
brought to the midwest for that purpose)

I did a quick check of some sources (Hightshoe 1988, Harlow et al. 1996, &
Grimm 1983) and found that both Catalpa speciosa and Catalpa bignonioides are
found throughout the Southeastern US and parts of the midwest (i.e. Illinois,
Indiana), while Maclura is restricted to areas in Oklahoma and Texas.
Joseph W. Dixon
	Voice Mail & Fax:  1-914-678-0562
	Email:  joedixon at aol.com
	ICQ:  14100562