Muehlenbechia (wire vine)

Stephanie Coulshaw coulshaw at cyberus.ca
Fri Oct 22 12:18:28 EST 1999

Hello! I recently purchased a plant I'd never heard of before, a
Muehlenbechia. This is a beautiful plant that has very wirey stems with
little round leaves approx half an inch across alternating every inch or
so. It is a low light, high moisture plant. I've been trying to
propagate it with little success, by taking cuttings. Of the first
batch, inserted directly into soil and inside a plastic bag, only about
5% are surviving and growing. The second batch, using rooting hormone,
was a disaster, none survived. I'm trying a third batch of very new
growth cuttings only from the tips of stems.

I've searched everywhere for information on this plant with no success.
Has anyone here any experience with this plant? Propagation tips?

     Thanks in advance,

     Stephanie
     Near Ottawa, Canada