Can someone tell me

Starbuck pmdlandarch at xearthlink.net
Tue Oct 26 10:25:08 EST 1999

That's right.

Many bromeliads are epiphytic, living off dust and pollen in the air.
Others (Billbergias) have a water basin in which insects are trapped and
disolved for nutrients.  Roots (if any) are for (optional) structural
attachment only and don't take up nutrients.  Ball moss and Wildpine grow in
the canopy, attached to outer bark, but don't extract nutrition through the
roots.  Some bromeliads (like Spanish moss) don't even have roots, but just
hang draped over tree limbs.  Others, like Pineapples do take up nutrients
through the roots.  It depends.

Most bromeliads show best coloration when exposed to some sunlight.
Sometimes a nice pot is useful to keep the plant erect, or to best show off
it's features (Which often looks like something from another planet IMHO)