Can someone tell me

ntbandit at globec.com.au ntbandit at globec.com.au
Tue Oct 26 15:59:46 EST 1999

On Tue, 26 Oct 1999 11:25:08 -0400, "Starbuck"
<pmdlandarch at xearthlink.net> wrote:

>That's right.
>
>Many bromeliads are epiphytic, living off dust and pollen in the air.
>Others (Billbergias) have a water basin in which insects are trapped and
>disolved for nutrients.  Roots (if any) are for (optional) structural
>attachment only and don't take up nutrients.  Ball moss and Wildpine grow in
>the canopy, attached to outer bark, but don't extract nutrition through the
>roots.  Some bromeliads (like Spanish moss) don't even have roots, but just
>hang draped over tree limbs.  Others, like Pineapples do take up nutrients
>through the roots.  It depends.
>
>Most bromeliads show best coloration when exposed to some sunlight.
>Sometimes a nice pot is useful to keep the plant erect, or to best show off
>it's features (Which often looks like something from another planet IMHO)

thanks starbuck,

they are so easy to grow once you have one plant form it you will have
many, almost like a weed don't know haow garden centers justify
charging so much for them, any visitors to my garden will go away with
an arm ful of mnay varieties. i've seen a single bulb in flower in a
10" pot (now remember the flowering bulb is actually going to die) and
they ahve $15aud on them the same as i have growing literally wild in
my garden.

if i see a plant that i would like i look for it around garage sales
for about $1 or $2.

len

>Stephen M Jankalski wrote in message <01bf1f3f$05657880$3b899cd1 at default>...
>>Wow!
>>
>>You mean it doesn't need any light or fertilizer or even to be in a pot?
>>
>>Wow!
>>
>>I mean, WOW!
>>
>>ntbandit at globec.com.au wrote in article
>><8MUUODIPZKAALGOvJabHnk1y=3gI at 4ax.com>...

>>> g'day,
>>>
>>> just keep the plant full of water in the center. it'll do the rest,
>>> remove old growths after they have flowered are getting tatty.
>>>
>>> len
>>>
>>> - -
>>> happy gardening
>>> 'it works for me it could work for you,'
>>> <http://www.globec.com.au/~ntbandit/>
>>> alt' em address #1 <gardenlen at hotmail.com>
>>> alt' em address #2 <ntbandit at my-dejanews.com>
>>>
>>> "old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill"

- -
happy gardening