Stinky, smelly gingko biloba fruit: What to do?

Alice Ramirez alice at chem.ucla.edu
Wed Oct 27 17:40:30 EST 1999

Dear Maria,
This won't help your problem with the badly-situated tree, but the INNER
nut is edible.  I have seen it for sale, canned, in ethnic markets or
supermarkets in ethnic neighborhoods here in LA.  I bought a can.  The
canning technique ruins the flavor/texture and they tasted like cheese.
There is a less-prolific gingko tree here on the UCLA campus that
occasionally drops fruit.  I got rid of the outer fruit and tried the
inner nut, raw, and it tasted just like a pignola, and had the same
texture.  Probably good roasted, if you could find a way to get rid of the
inedible outer flesh.

When you consider that this is one of the oldest tree species in existence
-- it existed during the Cretacious and, along with cycads and other
angiosperms, fed dinosaurs -- it is no wonder that it is prolific.  It
must  have needed to, to survive when so many other species from that era
became extinct.  I hope this makes you feel a LITTLE better as you scrape
muck off your sidewalk.  I hope somebody can offer a solution, a product
similar to what is used to prevent fruiting in olives.

--
http://www.chem.ucla.edu/~alice/explorations/index.htm