Red alder - what zones???

michael frankis michael.frankis at which.net
Sat Oct 30 16:06:02 EST 1999

Mike,

Coastal Oregon provenances of Red Alder will almost certainly not be hardy in
New England, but if you get seed from the inland provenances in NE Washington
and N Idaho, they should succeed.

You will also need to add its correct associated mycorrhiza and nitrogen-fixing
bacteria.  Here in Old England, Red Alder grows briliantly well for a few (5-15)
years, but soon becomes a dismal failure despite the apparently ideal climate
(identical to its homeland) - I can only presume the associates of our native
European Alder (Alnus glutinosa) do not form a good friendship with it.

Michael Frankis

Newcastle, England