Red alder - what zones???

michael frankis michael.frankis at
Sat Oct 30 16:06:02 EST 1999

Coastal Oregon provenances of Red Alder will almost certainly not be hardy in
New England, but if you get seed from the inland provenances in NE Washington
and N Idaho, they should succeed.

You will also need to add its correct associated mycorrhiza and nitrogen-fixing
bacteria.  Here in Old England, Red Alder grows briliantly well for a few (5-15)
years, but soon becomes a dismal failure despite the apparently ideal climate
(identical to its homeland) - I can only presume the associates of our native
European Alder (Alnus glutinosa) do not form a good friendship with it.

Michael Frankis

Newcastle, England