Q: Inter-species crossing

michael georgiady mgrgdy at galaxy.ucr.edu
Thu Sep 2 18:57:09 EST 1999

Newsgroups: bionet.plants,rec.gardens,uk.rec.gardening
Subject: Re: Q: Inter-species crossing

Personally, I see no problem with applying the term
"hybrid" rather broadly, as long as the context in
which it is being used is clear. I routinely make
intraspecific crosses between morphologically dissimilar
plants, which I refer to as hybrids. I also propagate
plants by selfing them, which produces offspring which
are not hybrids by even the broadest definition.

I would think it would be unwise to make "hybrid"
dependent on taxonomic rank, as slippery as they tend
to be in plants. Is this where the problem lies?