neem taxonomy?

Sandy glencasey at geocities.com
Mon Sep 6 04:52:38 EST 1999

"georg johann s. parlow" wrote:

> greetings!
>
> if anyone could clearify the following question on taxanomy i would be
> very grateful.
>
> is the Neem tree (Azidarachta indica) synonymous with the chinaberry
> (Melia azedarach)?
>
> if not, where can i get comprehensiv information on the uses of Melia
> azedarach?
>
> kind regards,
> georg.

Hi,
Yes it does seem that these two trees are one in the same.
Refer to:
http://www.cals.cornell.edu/dept/flori/415/specieslist/neem/NEEM.HTM

There seems to be a couple of discrepencies however, one, is it is listed
as an evergreen, and the Melia azedarach we know of in New Zealand are
decidious, and some of the photos of the leaves look a little different to
the ones grown in New Zealand. Also the flowers, they are fragrant and
lilac coloured. In one photo of Azidarachta they show they are white.
Melia azedarach  are used extensively as roadside planting specimens here.

Maybe someone else knows for sure.
There is alot of information about Azadarachta indica at these sites:

http://ww.total.net/~naturmix/nimtree.htm
http://www.neem-tree.com/Articles/azadirachta_indica__neem.htm
http://forestry.miningco.com/msubneem.htm

Hope you find out the info you need.