Gentiana asclepiadea

Roger Van Loon roger.vanloon at ping.be
Wed Sep 8 15:53:07 EST 1999

Rod Craddock wrote:

> I have the type plant and the Branklyn form of these Willow Gentians. The
> type looks pretty miserable, lower leaves dead or dying, stems brown, lower
> flowers likewise. The Branklyn isn't so bad. Growing conditions, some
> protection from sun, moist (Boulder clay/peat/grit) No pH measurement but I
> imagine it is low, liverworts & mosses on bed. Do they need higher pH or is
> this a disease problem?
> Lovely flowers - pity about the plants.
>
> TIA
>
> Rod

Good question. I have been growing several plants of the species
for many years. Now suddenly one of the plants started showing
the exact symptoms you describe and I think it's now dead. First
time this happened. The plant was well-established. A few other
plants nearby still thrive. Hope it's not a new disease. But
since I'm in Belgium and you probably are not - I suppose I
didn't get it from you. :))
Roger