Black Shrubs

Sandy glencasey at geocities.com
Fri Sep 10 14:40:15 EST 1999

Richard Thomas wrote:

> Hello - I'm new to the group and wondered whether anyone could assist me
> with the names of some (if any) black shrubs or bushes.
>
> The nearest I have at the moment is Sambucus nigra, which I believe has dark
> purple foliage and pink flowers.
>
> Are there any hardy black shrubs available, preferably non-flowering
>
> Many thanks
> Hope someone can help
> Richard

Hi,

Yes, the Sambucus nigra, is the black elder.
There is also a black alder, called Alnus glutinosa. It has black cracked bark
and seed cones.
Then black wattle, Albizzia lophantha, (Australian native)  has black trunks,
and is very hardy, and (in New Zealand), one of the fastest growing trees there
is, and self sows itself all over the place.
There's more I know, but these two spring to mind first. I will keep a lookout
for more.

Sandy.