Parasitaxus ustus (Good news)

David Deutsch dd at gondwana.org
Sun Sep 12 15:49:19 EST 1999

Hello to all,

I was recently privileged to see a colony of Parasitaxus ustus I had
seen on a previous visit to New Caledonia, and was very happy to see
that this year there has been a sudden and significant expansion of the
colony with at least 8 new sproutings, all at considerable distance from
the other colonies (there may be many more, but we were disinclined to
disturb the site). I didn't have the means to tell whether the new
sprouts were from seed germinations or from root suckers, but it's nice
to see this magnificent rare plant grow beyond its original small
handful of specimens. Possibly the unusual weather (a rainy and
moderately cool winter) has triggered the expansion.

Visitors who are honored with access to this site MUST tread carefully!
It is necessary to carefully brush aside leaf litter ahead where you
wish to step to make sure no new sprouts are pushing which might be
crushed by your footstep (visitors should only come in very small
numbers, 2 or 3 at most). If there are any Falcatifolium taxoides around
as you approach the colony, it is a good risk that Parasitaxus may be
hidden under the litter.

Cheers,

David Deutsch

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/