Growing Tulips in the Tropics

Steve Hinkson sphinkson at worldnet.att.net
Sun Sep 19 05:40:52 EST 1999

I grow Tulips for clients here in the Mojáve desert.  Their trouble here, however, tends to be summer irrigation.
They do fine late fall, winter and spring, but must be kept fairly dry through summer, or the bulbs suffocate, and
rot.  The two solutions I have used, are to bury them rather deeply  ( 1/2 meter) and cover with finely ground lava
rock.  That keeps them deep enough to stay cool, allows for excellent drainage, and remains loose enough for the
spring leaves and flowers to emerge.
My other solution, where water is too prevalent, is to dig them after the leaves have matured, and store them in a
refrigerator until our weather cools in late October.  To do them in the true tropics, I'd pot them, refrigerate for
8 months, and sink the pot in the ground for the other 4.

--
Drop by and see me at :
 http://www.geocities.com/HotSprings/Spa/6811