Growing Tulips in the Tropics

Starbuck pmdlandarch at earthlink.net
Wed Sep 22 11:09:13 EST 1999

>>>Is there any tulip species that can grow in the Tropics? I understand
they only grow in the Temperate areas only.

Kindly let me know if such tulips exists.<<<

Tulips can be grown as annuals in the tropics.  You can plant them, but have
to buy new bulbs every year.

Otherwise, you might try mulching through the summer, and then freezing them
through the winter months.  All species that I am aware of require a period
of cool growing temperatures followed by dormancy in order to store reserves
and then rejuvenate.  You might experiment to see if you can squeeze 2 or 3
years of bloom out a bulb by replicating a cooler climate.  I've heard that
it's done, but a lot of work.

Personally, I stick with daylillies.

--
To respond via email remove the "X" from the address.