Appreciate Comments on Botanical Trekking

Matt Smith MatSmith1 at compuserve.com
Thu Sep 23 18:54:14 EST 1999

On Wed, 22 Sep 1999 13:37:07 -0700, Customer Service
<info at orion.he.net> wrote:

>A researcher is trying to gauge the interest in botanical trekking to
>Nepal during the monsoon. While visiting Nepal during this time is
>unattractive to many, it happens to be the best flowering period in the
>Nepal Himalaya. There are other benefits such as lower prices and fewer
>tourists. It is also a very critical period for the whole subcontinent
>after a prolonged dry period, and the rains are celebrated.
>
>I would appreciate hearing your thoughts on "botanical" trekking. Please
>post your comments to
>http://www.adventurocity.com/discuss/nepal_messages.htm under the
>"Researcher Seeks Comments on Botanical Trekking" thread so that they
>can be shared with others.

A long long time ago I trecked in northern India and Nepal right at
the end of the monsoon, in some places we were the first trekker of
the season.  Prior to that I sat around in Darjeeling for 2 weeks
waiting for the weather to break so we could start trekking. I would
think that anybody participating in a trek during the monsoon would
have to be made of hardier stuff than the usual summer trekker.  It
rains a LOT during the monsoon.  Tourists who expect a gentle 4 hour
hike with 40 porters and dinner at the end are not going to be
interested in being wet all of the time for days on end, which they
will be.  Me, I went for the bugs so I wasn't too concerned.   Paths
are also very difficult, slippy and muddy.  One other thing to
consider is that the monsoon season is the leech season, if you sit
down for a rest you can see them coming for you over the leaves.  I am
not trying to knock you ideas, I think you would need to market this
carefully so that you got the right kind of trekkers.

Matt