flys in house plants?????

Beverly Erlebacher bae at cs.toronto.edu
Tue Sep 28 15:22:05 EST 1999

In article <_UvH3.3705$Pv.171878 at news.uswest.net>,
wall2wall <wall2wall at uswest.net> wrote:
>We Live in Co.  and we have a proble with the houe plants >>  they all have
>little flys in the dirt and its really a big problem.  Have change the dirt
>with miracle grow dirt  but the have came back >  can you all tell me Y or
>how to get rid of the little pests
>Thanks in advance   Deanna

They are probably fungus gnats, which live on rotting organic material
in moist soils.  Some non-toxic ways of getting rid of them involve keeping
the soil surface dry by watering infrequently and/or from the bottom, and
putting a layer of sand on the soil surface about 1-2 cm deep (1/2-1inch).
This will discourage the adults from laying eggs and gradually they will
disappear.