Problems with new palm.. Suggestions?

Steve Hinkson sphinkson at
Thu Sep 30 03:29:41 EST 1999

Your palm is a Howeia fosteriana, or commonly, a Kentia Palm.  It's been a
popular indoor palm for years because of it's tolerance for the low light
conditions that are common in interior decor situations.
This is a SHADE plant.  It will tolerate almost no direct sun, as I guess
you've found out...
Bright northern exposure, or inside NEAR the solarium will help a lot.  I
looked at your photos carefully, and I didn't see a sign of pests.  Do, as
Steve J. said, watch for mites.
Your palm will recover from the sunblast faster if you mist it regularly,
and the mist also discourages spider mites.

Hope this helps.
Steve (H.)
Drop by and see me at :