Problems with new palm.. Suggestions?

Mark Morissette pepper99 at NOSPAM.home.com
Thu Sep 30 18:30:05 EST 1999

>Mark:
>
>You may mist as often as you'd like, but for the healing, at least once a day,
>especially if you're heating by now.

No heat on here yet, but dry none the less..  I moved the palm earlier
today into the alternate spot, and misted twice..

>Yes, a "rubber tree" can take full sun.  It's one of those plants that adapts
>well to both high light and low light conditions.  All of the Ficus genus can
>change their leaf thickness
>(something called the palisade layer) to control light penetration.

It certainly seems to be thriving in the solarium, that's for sure...

Just out of curiousity, how do these plants respond to being
root-bound?  This Rubber tree I'm speaking of is currently in a 10"
pot, and it's a decent sized plant at this point..   I'm really quite
happy with it's current size, so I'm hoping that I could perhaps delay
repotting (thereby limiting root mass) in order to keep it's size
somewhat limited..  Good idea, bad idea?

>For now, an easy way to tell when you need to water:
>insert a sharpened pencil into the pot 5 or 6 cm.  When the exposed wood is dry
>when you pull it out, water.

Allrighty, thanx.

---
Mark,  Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
Remove NOSPAM to respond via Email!
ICQ# 17308959
ICQ ActiveList# 46757327 - For Chevy Beretta Owners!