Absorption of arsenic by edible plants

Alf Christophersen alf.christophersen at basalmed.uio.no
Sat Apr 1 12:57:21 EST 2000

On Sat, 01 Apr 2000 13:19:24 GMT, Victoria <animaux at austin.rr.com0>
wrote:

>But still no postingof the study.  That was the point.  However, it was diverted
>by something which is virtually irrelevant. As usual.

Hm. The question was if it would be dangerous to eat food grown beside
wood treated with arsenic and our comments was that since the leakage
is negligible compared to the concentration of As in soil, anywhere,
it is not any more dangerous to grow vegetables 10 cm from treated
wood as it would be to grow it 10 km away from it. But growing it in
the mold from rotten wood treated by it would be a different question
since the rotten wood would contain almost all of the arsenicals added
to the wood (it is very tightly bound to the molecules in the wood)

On the other side, I would not liek to grow vegetables in the very
neighbourhood of wood treated by OTHER conservatives, like tar and
some phenolic compounds quite popular around 1960. These are
carcinogenic and do leak out quite big amounts of them in soil
annually (tar has to be added about every year if you use that,
creosote is the more exact name of that preservative. The aromates it
contains are not any good for your health and I will not guarantee
that the stuff is not taken up by plants. I would say the tea Lapsang
souchon is rather a proof that those aromates are taken up. On the
other hand, I have not seen any data that drinking Lapsang Souchon do
increase the chances of getting a cancer (I hope not, since I have
myself been drinking many cups of Lapsang Souchon in earlier years)