Lycopodium Powder

jperry at jperry at
Wed Apr 12 08:45:39 EST 2000

Unless you are in a geographic location where no Lycopodium grows, field
collection makes lots of sense. I just place the nearly mature strobili on
wax paper in the early - mid fall and let them shed spores.

I used to show how the spores were used as flash powder, until my
co-instructor (my spouse) developed a severe allergy to Lycopodium spores.

-----Original Message-----
From: Shane Hodges [mailto:vlahodge at]
Sent: Wednesday, April 12, 2000 7:23 AM
To: plant-ed at; plantbio at
Subject: Lycopodium Powder

Hello to all

I'm searching for a (potential) supplier of Lycopodium (Club Moss) Powder,
from Lycopodium clavatum, also known as vegetable sulfur.

I'm from Australia, so it would preferably be a supplier from Australia.

If anybody could give me a contact, or at least give a few helpful pointers,
it would be most appreciated.

I can be e-mailed on vlahodge at

Cheers, Shane Hodges.