African violet seed pod?

Beverly Erlebacher bae at cs.toronto.edu
Fri Aug 11 16:25:51 EST 2000

In article <3993B7C5.C7C0EC29 at ic.ac.uk>,
Edwin Hutton  <e.hutton at ic.ac.uk> wrote:
>> One of my African violets has grown what looks like a seed pod in the middle of
>> a blossom.  Can this be used to propogate new violets?  Or do you have to have
>> a master's degree in biology to figure out how to do that?  <g>  Is it easier
>> just to buy the dang things than to grow them from seed?
>>
>If I remember correctly you propagate African Violets by leaf
>cuttings. Any decent indoor plant book should tell you how to
>do this - it does require a bit of care but my wife does it
>and she hasn't got a degree. I haven't heard of anyone doing it
>by planting seeds, but you could experiment a bit, there's nothing
>lost.

WHen you propagate from a leaf cutting, you get a new plant identical to the
one the leaf came from (a clone).  When you propagate from seed, you get new
varieties, i.e. new genetic combinations.  African violets are popular plants
and I expect that thousands of people breed them as a hobby.  You can probably
find web sites of African violet societies with instructions on propagating
from seed.  Try it, you'll likely have fun and you may like some of the
resulting plants better than their parent.  You may also like the idea of
having something unique, unlike the mass produced cloned varieties.