bitter almond

- oo -.oo at hgmp.mrc.ac.uk
Thu Aug 31 15:04:20 EST 2000

At the risk of being obvious: if the kernel is sweet it's a sweet
almond and if it's bitter, well, you get the idea...

Bitter and sweet almonds are the same species. I believe bitterness is
controled by a single gene.

It doesn't take much of a taste to let you know. A bitter almond is
bitter indeed. Of course, you don't want to eat bitter almonds,
whatever your tolerance for bitterness, but a tiny taste won't hurt.