Ginkgo: how long in US?

Pam grdngal48 at home.com
Sun Dec 3 22:28:09 EST 2000

I would venture to say that gingkos have been present in the US, although
perhaps not literally 'under cultivation',  for somewhat longer than even
Dirr's 1787.  Washington State is home to a petrified gingko forest near
Vantage on the Columbia River and I managed to unearth a gingko leaf fossile
this summer in north central Washington.........I think the paleobotanist said
it dated back some 14 million years.

Pam - gardengal