Ginkgo: how long in US?

Tom McWilliams mcwillia at msu.edu
Tue Dec 5 16:50:27 EST 2000

Ann wrote:

> kwantenzap at xs4all.nl (CorK) expounded:
>
> >There are not many old Ginkgos in the USA. That's why it is sad and
> >uncivilized to cut down a rare 100-year old female Ginkgo (read my
> >specials-page).
> >Much information about the tree Ginkgo biloba (and also about its
> >presence in America) can be read on my homepage:
>
> Why do you continue to say there aren't many old Ginkgos here in the
> USA, when so many have posted to tell you you're wrong?  I know of a
> beauty, outside the Rockland MA Post Office, and several others here
> in southeastern New England.  No, they aren't as common as Norway
> Maples, but they're around.  They aren't rare.
>
> --
> Ann, Gardening in Zone 6a
> Just south of Boston, MA
> ********************************
> http://www.annzoid.com

They sure aren't.

Skokie Illinois lined it's streets in the 60's with them, for example.

Here at MSU (Michigan), we've got a couple real old (100+ years) ones,
including one in one of the local off-campus neighborhoods.

Just last year, though, the on-campus population went from about 5 to
about 100, when they lined several avenues with them - they are well
known for their pollution-tolerance.

-Tm

--