unknown melon???? - identify please

Gene Newcomb newcombg at ava.bcc.orst.edu
Fri Dec 8 14:28:13 EST 2000

Sorry, Len, but you are looking too hard for a melon where there isn't one.

Why this isn't a melon.
1. flowers are dioecious (both functional stigma and style in one plant)
2. ovary not inferior (note the small calyx in your picture).
3. flowers not yellow or white, but lavender/white.
4.Just a guess, but when you cut it you will not find a hollow center with
the seeds of fairly large size, but rather 2 or 3 groups of seeds on a
central core which probably fills the whole of the interior.
5. probably no tendrils on the vine.
6. leaves not palmate.

Why this is some sort of Solanum, possibly an Asian eggplant. I don't have
a good key for these things.
1. see above.
2. ovary superior there is clearly a calyx between the stem and fruit in
the picture you have.
3. flower color and shape just cries out "Solanum". Think of potato
flowers.
4. see above.
5. see above
6. leaves linear and shiny like some, but not all members of the
Solanaceae.
7. There are vines in the genus Solanum, so that doesn't rule it out.

I grant you that this may not be Solanum, but it certainly is in the
Solanaceae. Common names are notoriously misused. The locals here in Oregon
USA call 'four-o'clocks'  'tobacco plant'.

Good gardening.

Gene