unknown melon???? - identify please

Monique Reed monique at mail.bio.tamu.edu
Fri Dec 8 14:13:45 EST 2000

I think you may have a "Pepino", Solanum muricatum.  This viny herb is
native to the temperate Andes of Peru and Chile and cultivated
elsewhere.  Common names are pepino melon or melon pear, but it is not
at all related to "regular" melongs, belonging to the same genus as
potato and nightshade.  From an anatomical standpoint, the flowers are
a dead giveaway for the genus Solanum.

Try searching by the full Latin name or by "pepino melon" or "melon
pear" and see if you can get the web to spit up an image of your
plant.  I've got a drawing here that looks like your fruit, ripened to
purple mottled with gold.

Monique Reed
Texas A&M University