Are there "Identical Twin" plants?

George Hammond ghammond at mediaone.net
Sun Dec 17 00:56:41 EST 2000

Cereoid wrote:

> Sorry dude but flowering plants produce seeds not spores.
>
> You need to study up on your basic botany then get back to us.

GH:  Yeah I already know about it, on the other hand I'm not
     advising you to take a graduate degree in theoretical
     physics either. Why don't you simply quit wasting bandwidth with
     OT commentary.  You have asked what the BOTTOM LINE of
     this discussion is.  OK, the basic issue is posted below.
     If you are unable to respond to that OK.

snip.. bandwidth wasting polemical colloquy avoiding the issue
       at hand.

		THE ISSUE AT HAND:

> > GH:    You see; the question here is nothing but the old NATURE-NURTURE
> >      discussion.... with a NEW TWIST.
> >        It is now hypothesized that higher animals, and probably plants,
> >      have something which we could call a "nominal maximum genetic
> >      size", and that in the natural environment, very few IF ANY
> >      individual specimens EVER ACHIEVE IT.
> >        The object then, becomes the task of PROVING THIS CONJECTURE.
> >      That is, proving from existing data, that there is such a
> >      thing as a "ADULT GROWTH CURVE DEFICIT" that exists for all
> >      plants and animals, and naturally we would want to eliminate
> >      "genetic variation" from the measurements, which is why the
> >      question has come up explicitly concerning "clonal" plants.

Hammond:  the question then: Is there direct evidence from
          crop yield and other agricultural data on parthogenetic
          (asexual-clonal) plants, which indicates a significant
          VARIANCE in adult size, from which we may conclude
          that there is such a thing as an "ADULT GROWTH DEFICIT"
          in these plants (in the actual environment), whereby
          they are generally always somewhat smaller than some
          "theoretical genetic maximum adult size"?
            And further, from the Normal Distribution Curve
          for the adult size of these (clonal) plants, can
          we ESTIMATE the "theoretical genetic size" of the
          plant, statistically.... by for instance assuming
          that it must be near "2-Standard Deviations" above
          the mean clonal size?

Cereoid; If you could please address the issue here, I would
         appreciate it rather than wasting bandwidth discussing
         OT subject matter and gossiping about why I don't
         waste time chatting privately to anyone besides
         Nobel Laureates.

--
BE SURE TO VISIT MY WEBSITE, BELOW:
George Hammond, M.S. Physics