Please enlighten my ignorance 8-)

Zebitty zebitty at australis.aunz.com
Mon Dec 18 18:42:04 EST 2000

Hi,
I have recently started to learn a bit more about plants for my own
purposes, and have noticed something that I haven't been able to answer. Is
plant taxonomy based purely on genetic relationships (much like animals) or
on something else. I ask because I notice several species of plants that
look radically different in their adaptations to their environments and yet
have the same genus. Now generally animals of the same genus tend to look
fairly similar. This does not seem to be the case with many plants. Why is
this? Or is it just my lack of understanding of plant morphology?

Thanks to anyone who helps

Zebitty

"If I have seen further, it is because I have stood on the shoulders of
giants"
Sir Isaac Newton