info on "vicks plant"

Cereoid CEREOID at prodigy.net
Sun Dec 31 15:42:24 EST 2000

The true Plectranthus amboinicus is a much larger growing species that the
"Vicks Plant" types and has a distinctive oregano scent not one of camphor.
It is the type species for the obsolete genus Coleus. The "Coleus" of the
horticultural trade is Plectranthus scutellarioides.

I have been putting together a list of the leaf succulent species of
Plectranthus and there are now over 50 named species that fall into that
category. Not all of them are scented. Plectranthus neochilus has a
distinctive skunk-like odor.

The so-called "Swedish Ivy" is Plectranthus verticillatus, a semi-succulent
African species without a scent.

For a recent article on Plectranthus see:

Miller, D. & Morgan, N. (2000) A NEW LEAF. The Garden 125 (11): 842-845,
illus.

news:92nsfi$1fd$4 at slb3.atl.mindspring.net...