Germinating Cuscuta (dodder)

Mark Schoenbeck mark at capsidiol.ca.uky.edu
Mon Feb 21 18:04:44 EST 2000

Hello group,

I would like to hear from anyone who has experience with germinating and
establishing dodder on host plants for experimental work.  I am trying
to grow it on Coleus, as I have seen in the literature.  All I have is
seed to start with.  After one attempt to geminate the dodder by soaking
it in concentrated sulfuric acid for half an hour, followed by a
distilled water wash, only one seed broke, and it dessicated despite my
best efforts to keep it wet on its host.  Any suggestions?

Sincerely,

Mark Schoenbeck
Agronomy
University of Kentucky