Germinating Cuscuta (dodder)

Steve Hinkson sphinkson at worldnet.att.net
Wed Feb 23 06:00:34 EST 2000

To start with, the vine germinates on soil.  Doesn't germinate ON the host
as does Mistletoe.  It carries enough food in the endosperm to creep a long
way to a suitable host.

I hadn't heard of the acid treatment, although most desert plants require
scarification to allow water through the hard coat.  The plant grows wild
here, and I've never tried to cultivate it intentionally, but I can tell
you, it'll go a good distance looking for a host.
Steve

--
"You can easily judge the character of a person by how he treats those who
can do nothing for him