Seek to identify plant with narrow leaves and long flowering stalks

Robin Boswell rab at vespasian.scms.rgu.ac.uk
Fri Jan 14 06:00:40 EST 2000

  Thanks to all who responded.  I've done a web search on
Ornithogalum longibracteatum and Pregnant Onion to confirm
the identification, as well as finding some other useful
information. (For example, various folk in the department had
asked if the thing was edible; NO, it's classified as seriously
toxic).

  Apologies to anyone who couldn't read my tiff files.
There is a close-up photograph of the pregnant onion's flowers
at www.nctimes.net/~hihorse/page149.htm
though this doesn't give any impression of the weirdness of
the plant when seen as a whole.

                    Robin Boswell.