Butternut (Juglans cinerea) decline question.

Karl Davies karl at daviesand.com
Mon Jan 17 23:31:16 EST 2000

Mike the Tree Doctor wrote:

> Folks:
>
> I am very concerned with the decline of Butternut (Juglans cinerea) in New
> England, and am seeking to educate myself. In the areas in which I work
> these days (NY, CT, MA primarily) it is very seldom that I see regeneration,
> due primarily to a paucity of reproduction-aged trees. On trees that are
> extant, canker-disease symptoms are nearly ubiquitous.
>
> Any URLs or stories on what the state of the art in research and
> intervention might be??

You can order hard copies of some articles on butternut from the Northern Nut
Growers Association at http://www.icserv.com/nnga/btwalnut.htm.  Most of the
articles are from NNGA annual reports.  If you're near Cornell, Arnold
Arboretum, Carey Arboretum, or the CT Ag Experiment Station, they have
subscriptions to the annual reports.  Most major university libraries have
subscriptions too (not UMass, however).

--
Karl Davies, Practicing Forester
Northampton, MA