Butternut (Juglans cinerea) decline question.

shadowlight enigma at mv.mv.com
Tue Jan 18 21:52:47 EST 2000

In article <3883EC94.347D41F6 at daviesand.com>, karl at daviesand.com says...

> Mike the Tree Doctor wrote:
>
> > Folks:
> >
> > I am very concerned with the decline of Butternut (Juglans cinerea) in New
> > England, and am seeking to educate myself. In the areas in which I work
> > these days (NY, CT, MA primarily) it is very seldom that I see regeneration,
> > due primarily to a paucity of reproduction-aged trees. On trees that are
> > extant, canker-disease symptoms are nearly ubiquitous.
> >
> > Any URLs or stories on what the state of the art in research and
> > intervention might be??
>
> You can order hard copies of some articles on butternut from the Northern Nut
> Growers Association at http://www.icserv.com/nnga/btwalnut.htm.  Most of the
> articles are from NNGA annual reports.  If you're near Cornell, Arnold
> Arboretum, Carey Arboretum, or the CT Ag Experiment Station, they have
> subscriptions to the annual reports.  Most major university libraries have
> subscriptions too (not UMass, however).

um, do any of these articles have information useful to owners of
butternuts? i have 2, about 25-30 years old & was told they have canker
when i bought the house. thay didn't produce this year, but neither did
any of the other nut trees (black walnut & carpathian walnut. there were
a very few shagbark hickory nuts). i'm very fond of butternuts & i'd like
to save the trees if possible
lee