Butternut (Juglans cinerea) decline question.

Mike the Tree Doctor mlamana at bestweb.net
Thu Jan 20 17:46:47 EST 2000

Starbuck:

I  respectfully disagree with the wisdom and efficacy of tracing out cankers
caused by Sirococcus canker..it won't buy you anything as far I understand.
This is probably one of the only truly ANNUAL canker diseases we know of.
Thus, digging out this years canker material will not help prevent the
spread of that canker, nor the infection of other loci on the tree.

I am similarly dubious about the usefulness of even 'fungicidal' wound
paints. I'd like to see a study done that proves that there is a benefit.

Any thoughts??

Thanks!

Mike the Tree Doctor
www.treedoctors.com

Starbuck <pmdlandarch at xearthlink.net> wrote in message
news:kbnh4.602$H4.24999 at newsread2.prod.itd.earthlink.net...
> Some nut trees tend to bear heavily in alternate years anyway.  They spend
> year buildng up reserves for next year's crop.
>
> Butternuts are relatively short lived trees, seldom exceeding 75 years at
> the most.  Canker dieback seems to be the most common ailment.  It's
> probably caused by a fungus.  The cankered portions should be removed and
> destroyed and (this is one of the few times such painting is recommended)
> the wounds should be painted with a fungicidal paint.
>
> Leaves that might also harbor fungus (brown leaf spot) and should be raked
> and destroyed.
>
> See "Diseases and Pests of Ornamental Plants" by Pirone for additional
> information.
>

> shadowlight wrote in message ...

in
> New
> regeneration,
> are

> >> You can order hard copies of some articles on butternut from the
Northern