Butternut (Juglans cinerea) decline question.

Starbuck pmdlandarch at xearthlink.net
Fri Jan 21 12:55:11 EST 2000

I'm dubious also.  My source is Pirone, "Diseases and Pests of Ornamental
Plants", who I will acknowledge is much more informed on such matters than
myself.  While painting "wounds" was once an overly touted cure-all that
(thankfully) has pretty much been refuted...categorically denying that wound
painting can have
any value whatsoever seems to be to be an over-reaction in the opposite
direction.

Research by, I believe it is Ed Gilman (University of Florida) and others
seems to indicate that fungicide wound painting for oak wilt might actually
have a beneficial effect.  Pirione doesn't give his source for the butternut
recommendation, but it may be based upon something more substantial than
mere wishful thinking.